Friday, June 27, 2008

More thoughts from Through Gates of Splendor

I was reading more of my book and some more things stuck out to me.
There was a chapter about Roger Youderian, one of the men, and how he was struggling with going on for the Lord. He was discouraged and felt that what he was doing with the indians wasn't helping anything. He was struggling with leaving the field and going home. He was having a rough time of it and was praying and begging the Lord to help him. But at the end of this chapter it tells the end of his struggle. Nate Saint came to him and asked him to go with him and the other men deeper into the jungle. And "Roger recognized something of what this decision might mean for him, and the hours spent on his knees with God witnessed agony of soul. But God 'who causes us to triumph,' brought him out of his slough of despond.
'He was cleansed through the Spirit for the task that lay ahead of him,' said Barbara (his wife) afterward, 'and went with a happy, expectant mind and his heart full of joy."
He wrote something in his diary that really made a lot of sense. On December 19 he wrote: "I will die to self. I will begin to ask God to put me in a service of constant circumstances where to live Christ I must die to self. I will be alive unto God. That I may learn to live Him with my heart, mind, soul, and body."

That's what it is all about, dying to self daily and living for God. We are going to go through stuggles but when you are in that trial don't give up. Continue to seek His face. He will come through and be there in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!