Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What's Stopping You?

Have you ever gone somewhere like college or camp or some conference and you felt like you were right in the will of God? You had joy and peace and you were contented where God had you. You were in awe of your God. But then when you go home you feel that at times you can't even figure out where God is and why it seems He left you.
I don't know about you but I definitely feel this way sometimes. Especially when I am here at college. I'm learning, growing, serving, falling, getting back up, but when I go home I feel like I'm struggling. Greer and I were talking about this last night, trying to figure why it is we feel that way(and no we don't run by our feelings) and I'm going try to explain what we found out.
When we are here at school we are in the Word of God all the time, and we set out schedules. If we feel overwhelmed and just need to be with God, we just sit with our Bible and read and pray. We don't even have to go to another room, the others just know they wanted to spend some time with God. Now when I say this I'm referring to times other than you normal everyday devotions which you should have everyday. We also established at the beginning of the semester that between 10-10:15 we start a wind-down mode. By 10:30 we are all reading our Bible or another "self-helps" book, this helps us at the end of the day get our thoughts re-focused on the Lord before we go to sleep. We forget the troubles of the day and think on Him.
Greer and I both have the same struggle: when we go home, we love our families, and there are those times when we want to be alone with the Lord, yet we don't want to be rude to our families and just go hide somewhere. Neither of us have our own room, we share it with siblings, making it difficult to find a place at night to read. But we realized that we have to learn to find other times to get alone with God, God will present them.
We've got to learn to deal with our situations because this could be God preparing us for the future when we have families of our own and we can't just run away and hide, though I'm sure we will want to at times. We've got to find ways to keep that peace and joy of being in God's will real in our lives no matter where we are.
These were just some thoughts on it, I might post more about it later, once I ponder on it more.

1 comment:

  1. Take advantage of the time now that you can go and spend alone with God. I have three children. The only time I can really get alone with the Lord and read His Word is when they are sleeping. I have tried to read while they are sitting and doing something, but your mind isn't completely focused on what I am reading because I still need to watch them. Hope this is a help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!