I had module today... the first day of it... and it was in the 70's today.
So after we(Lizzie and I) got out of module we sat in the college and talked until her sisters came to pick her up. But it was freezing in the college wing. Once Lizzie left I needed to eat my supper: a yummy salad and peach yogurt. When I walked outside I realized it was still warm out, so I decided I was going to eat out there.
Off I went, down to the bottom of the parking lot. Opened my windows, propped open my door and ate my supper in the warmness of the outside.
I hadn't had time to finish my devotions this morning so I thought I should go down to the soccer field and read, or walk a little. I finished eating, closed my door, grabbed my Bible and pens, and headed for the field.
I realized I didn't want to stay down in the field alone for a long amount of time, because of things that have gone on at school before. Plus I had left my keys in my car.
As I walked down that tree lined lane to the field my mind began to fly into the past. And granted I only walked one "lap" around the field but the memories that came back covered 3 school years of my life. I could hear the people from my memories as if they were still there with me, and oh, how I wish they were, just one more time.
I thought of the mornings my second year of school when I had been given the responsibility of dorm monitor. I would head to the field, while the dew was still on the grass, right after breakfast. That was my time to walk and talk with the Lord, begging Him for wisdom in the situations I had to deal with. I even started a poem about the Dew of the Morning. Maybe one of these days I'll finish it.
I then thought of Leaf hunting for Biological Science Survey class. I was around this time of year, maybe a little later in the month, once the leaves were finally coming out on the trees. Maggz, Sandz, and I went traipsing off through the woods down at the field. Sandz was at the back and Maggz said how one of the leaves looked like Sumac. Sandy totally flipped out, "Sumac! I'm allergic to that, I'll break out all over! I can't be in here!" Oh, how we laughed... and no, it wasn't actually sumac.
Next came the memories of "tackle" football we girls decided to play one night. We had a blast, but we were one muddy mess of girls. We all threw our culottes and t-shirts (and even some sneakers) in the washer, to be sure the mud would come out.
How many were the times when a group of girls would go down to the field and walk for an hour, giving our brains rest from all the studying and getting much needed exercise. Hearts sharing desires that other had no idea about. Learning about the struggles each one was going through.
I also remembered the time Sandz and I grabbed a blanket and headed to the field to nap after gorging ourselves at Shady Maple for the spring banquet. We spread out the blanket and lay in the sunshine for a little, just talking until someone told us there was going to be a social parlor, so we packed up shop and headed to the dorm.
And then there were the more recent memories of taking "my kids" down there to play in the afternoons at the dilapidated play set that is no longer in the field. I would amaze the kids by doing flips on the swinging monkey bar. I came to the realization that I'm probably too old to be doing flips anymore. I also remember the few times I took them down there to play "soccer" releasing some of their energy before their parents picked them up.
It's amazing how many memories can fly into your mind in a 5 minute block of time. I'm so thankful that the Lord has created out minds to retain things, to remember the good times.
Ok...so i almost just cried...what good memories.
ReplyDeleteyea, um...just imagining the college girls playing tackle football makes me laugh! haha and yes that is a "all in good humor" jab at you guys! ;-)
ReplyDeleteP.S. You have pictures of that event?, cause that I got to see!!!! haha!!