Since there's been a request and I never did a post on this like I think I was supposed to
today I have documented how I meal plan and save money.
Monday mornings, normally when I eat breakfast, I sit down with:
- My Notepad of Meals since we've been married
- My grocery list
- My clutch that has my coupons and money
- Any store fliers that I feel I need something from
Last Week's List
This is my little notepad of meals.
Everyday is written out and I plan what I will make all week long.
Note: The trick to my meal planning is that I make the meals from what meat
I already have in my freezer, not what I buy at the store.
I always buy my meat a week ahead of time.
This is my pile of coupons.
I love coupons when I have them.
My grandpa gets the paper and
sometimes he saves the coupons for me.
Another tip to save is that I always buy what is one sale-
Like the pork chops I bought today. Buy 1 get 1 free.
I paid $2.50 a pack for them and
I can get two meals from each pack
Now I know people with larger families can't do this.
I also always buy meat that has to be taken off the shelf that day or the next day.
Most times they have coupons on the meat, like this cube steak.
I payed $2 for it.
Another trick is buy your salad fixin's and vegetables from the rack.
Basically prepackaged salad is more expensive
and honestly I can't keep it from going bad.
Left: the kale that was on sale today. I think I paid around 80 cents for a big bunch
Middle: Green leaf lettuce
Right: Red leaf lettuce - I normally get both lettuces for about $1.50
Always remember - the darker the veggies the better for you, more vitamins
And I always keep an eye out for deals, like these carrots I found today.
$1.49 for the bag...
...A five pound bag!
I shared some with my mom and I might shred some and freeze it.
Another thing I do it go to the local farmers market and buy my meat,
sweet potatoes, green beans (which I snip and freeze).
I also watch for sale items on things I use but don't need for the week.
If I think I'm going to be under budget for the week I'll go ahead and grab things.
Oh! I forgot- Matt gives me $60 a week for groceries.
And my last tip: Walmart will honor other store papers.(sorry Sandz, this won't help you!)
So rather than go to a couple different stores, take the papers to Walmarts.
I hope this was helpful. It's just what I do.
And It's like a little bit of joy every time I stay under budget.
It's like a game, a grown-up game. He- He!
thanks for the tips. I can't believe how cheap it is there! A pound of beef costs $8.00 here (sometimes more) and no such thing as it going on sale!
ReplyDeleteHey! I want to get coupons but I have no access to any. Printing them is toooo expensive! Right now I am able to buy all of our groceries for the month at $180. I always shop for an entire month of meals. I find it easier than going out so many times. I also find that I spend less if I do it this way. Not really sure why but I do. :) It definitely is a game!!
ReplyDeleteI am with Leam...we try to only shop once a month but it usually ends up to be twice. I love your way of just buying what's on sale then making a meal plan from what's already in the freezer. I found it to be more expensive when I would try to meal plan then go buy the stuff for those meals. I am in shock that you can get a month's worth of groceries for $180!!! We are at AT LEAST %500 a month on groceries.
ReplyDelete