Friday, December 16, 2016

When Christmas Hurts This Year

Christmas can be, and is, a difficult time for some people. Whether because of a missing loved one this year, unresolved conflicts, or unfufilled dreams. The absence of children to couples wishing for children, makes Christmas a difficult holiday. And this barren women has a wish every Christmas.

You think you know this one. Of course.

Every infertile woman wishes for a baby at Christmas. But wishing for a baby at Christmas isn't like other wishes. You can't wish this one to be wrapped up under the tree or come in a parcel in the mailbox. It can't be put on your Amazon wish list or be fulfilled by any person.

What every barren woman (or at least this one) really wishes for every Christmas is ,yes, a baby, but not for reasons that you may think. For me, every year Christmas approaches I silently wish for a baby in my womb. It normally starts around Thanksgiving. I dream of ways to tell the man I love who wants this too. Plans on how to tell parents and my siblings swirl around my mind. "Maybe this year" is the heart cry. I want a baby for Christmas, to give the gift of "baby news" for Christmas. To bring joy and happiness to the season with the gift of new life.

But it's Christmas, and I've come to it again with an empty womb, with dreams I've had to throw out the window.

The Christmas season is a joyous, yet difficult season for those who struggle with infertility. We wish for little hands to help decorate the tree, messy decorated sugar cookies from excited, inexperienced helpers. Dreams of what traditions to start, how to incorporate the REAL meaning of Christmas so children realize Christmas isn't really about presents. Family Christmas cards with family photos. We wish we were so busy tending to little hearts and bodies that we didn't have hours to decorate our houses to Pinterest-worthy perfection.

Instead, we decorate trees with heavy hearts and tear-filled eyes. Believe me, it happens year after year. We think, "next year, I'm not even doing this. Forget the tree, it's a reminder year after year of what I don't have." We make Christmas cookies alone, or forgo making them all together. We keep seeing ideas for great traditions to start with children and we keep scrolling. "Family pictures" should be more aptly named "married couple pictures". And we sometimes have hours to decorate our homes and elaborately do, trying to cover the pain.

Sometimes the holiday season isn't too merry.

How do we get through it? What do we do?

I'm learning the answer is always the Word of God. It heals, sometimes along with the shedding of tears. If this Christmas is a hard Christmas for you because of infertility or other trials, let's turn our focus. Let's get it where it needs to be this Christmas. Here are some ways I'm trying to align my focus during the difficult holiday season.
Focus Check

Problem - For me, infertility makes me dwell on what I want and don't have: children. I don't have pitter patter of feet on my bedroom floor on Christmas morning, waking me to open Christmas gifts.

Remedy - Remind myself of what I do have. I am blessed. I may not have children of my own, but there are children at church I can invest in, babies in nursery to cuddle, teenagers to encourage. I have a wonderful husband who I do not deserve, who was hand-picked my God for me.

Problem - Sadness prevails during Christmas. It's self pity. Actually it's selfishness.

Remedy - Get my mind busy on others, bringing joy to others. Spending time with those I have, because that's one thing I have plenty of, time. In the Lord's presence is FULLNESS OF JOY. Spend more time with Him in the Word.

Problem - The business of the Christmas Holiday has your mind going every which way, and on lists of things to do, places to go.

Remedy - Stop. Intentionally set aside some time this Christmas to dwell on what the season is about. A baby. Fully God, fully man. Born on earth, sent to earth to die, gave Himself willingly to die. For you, for me. That baby was sent to save us from our sins.

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:

For he shall save his people from their sins."

Matthew 1:21

This Christmas, if you have children, cherish every minute with them. Enjoy the sights, the smells, the wonder of Christmas with children. And remember the barren.

This Christmas, if you have parents, let them know you love them. Spend time with them. Call, text, visit. You'll never know when your last Christmas with them is. And remember those who have lost loved ones this year.

This Christmas, if you can't be home this Christmas, send your Christmas greetings and live to the hilt right where you are. Enjoy the people you are with, make memories, let laughter ring. And remember others just like you who can't be home for Christmas.

This Christmas, no matter your hurt, your pain, take it to Jesus. Pour the tears and the hurt at His feet and leave it there. He knew where you would be, what you would be going through right now, and for reasons unknown He orchestrated it that way. Leave your burden, and take hold of the joy of Christ and try your best to enjoy this time where we celebrate the coming to earth of our Redeemer. Jesus. Emmanuel. God with us. Right where we are in the hurt.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,
    Thanks for being open and real and sharing your feelings (and your pain). I appreciate your openness and also how you are trying to turn your focus. The reminders at the end were great for me... I want to cherish Christmas and the people who are with me. I am so thankful to be with my family this Christmas and I don't want to take that for granted. Thank you for those reminders. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
    Praying for you!
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebekah! Thanks for stopping by!The Lord has really showed me this year how our vulerability can be used for His glory. I'm glad the Lord used this to remind you to Savour these Moments. Merriest Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  2. It's been a tough Christmas for us, so this was the perfect post to read right now! Thank you for the reminder of focusing on Christ and all the blessings He has showered on us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear this Christmas is difficult Olivia! Every day we must turn our focus again on Him. Merry Christmas to you and your Family!

      Delete
  3. Hey Anna. Matt Wilkie here. It's been a while. I saw you followed me on Instagram, which lead me to your post on here. I want you to know that we serve a God of the impossible. I don't know what the exact medical issue or whatever it is that is preventing you from having children, but I know my God can still open up his storehouse of blessings upon you. I think of Hannah in the Bible who desired to have children but couldn't, but she earnestly PRAYED and God answered her prayer...but in His time. Have faith! The Lord will bless you with children in his time...I believe he will. He wants to give us the desires of our heart, but we also need to make sure we are walking with Him constantly. It is easy to get filled with doubt but keep trusting in Him. I am sure you have heard this before, but I want you to know that you have a friend out here in California who will be praying for you as well.
    I have been going through some rough patches in my life as well. I know what you mean when you say we dwell on what we don't have instead of what we do have. This is an issue for me too and probably for most people. Thanks for the reminder of putting my focus on what I do have. That was some good encouragement right there.
    Tell Matt I said "hey" and if he has a new phone number or something, is it possible you could email it to me? mattwlk20@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wilks! Welcome to the instagram community!
      Thank you for the reminder of how good and trustworthy the Lord is. And I'm sorry to hear you've had struggles lately. I'm so glad we have a faithful God to sustain us and lead us through those trials. I'll email you Matt's phone#.

      Delete
  4. This past year I really struggled being away from my family during the holidays. Not so much Christmas but the smaller holidays (especially American holidays) where I knew my family was all gathered together but it was just a regular day for us up North.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how hard it would be to not be home for those holidays. I often think of you on those American holidays, like July 4th, and Thanksgiving. Hugs to you up there Sandz!

      Delete
  5. I am just now able to read this. Even though the Lord has not brought a husband into my life, I can fully understand what you have posted. The Lord has given each of us the desire to care for little ones. It is hard whenyou feel that God has denied you of something that you know He has given you the desire for(ie. a husband, children,...).Sometimes others make us feel as though we are not enough. These are all satans lies. We are enough because we are made in His image, for His purpose. Hold your head high and be what He has shown you to be. You are a blessing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were able to stop by and dig back a few months in the archives! HEHE!
      You are so right about Satan's lies, we feel it from others and we have so many lies we tell ourselves too. But we are complete in Him. Good to hear from you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!