I began reading the Book Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot yesterday, which I have to say is another one of my goals for the summer, and I found a couple of really good quotes just in the first two chapters.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
~Jim Elliot~
"I think a 'call' to the mission field is no different from any other means of guidance. A call is nothing more nor less than obedience to the will of God, as God presses it home to the soul by whatever means He chooses."
~Pete Fleming~
"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God."
~Jim Elliot~
These two men were devoted to giving their lives to these Indian people of Ecuador. You can tell their desire to reach the people and their ferventness to preach the Word of God in some of Pete's diary entries.
"I am longing now to reach the AUCAS if God gives me the honor of proclaiming the Name among them... I would gladly give my life for that tribe if only to see an assembly of those proud, clever, smart people gathering around a table to honor the Son- gladly, gladly, gladly! What more could be given to a life?"
A couple days later he wrote: "Now by the light of the kerosene lamp I am writing on the dining room table... tired but full of thankfulness to the Father, who leads on. In reality, this is not an end but a beginning."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!