I had to post quick, I've been wanting to post this ever since the Christmas season has started. My family and I have been listening to Handel's Messiah for the past few weeks. Every time I listen to it I think I like it more. For those of you who aren't familiar or don't really care for classical music, I must tell you it is a Wonderful oratorio (a cantata basically). But the most special thing is that the whole thing it taken directly from Scripture. Every song is from the good, old, proven true, King James Bible. It tells of the birth of the Christ Child to this sinful, wicked earth.
I don't think there is anything that can really warm your heart like hearing the Hallelujah Chorus, to tell you the truth I think we started a new tradition that every time it's on we turn it up real loud and sing with it at the top of our lungs. I Love It! And I'll always have that memory of Rachel coming out to the lobby of the girls dorm and tentatively asking me if I would care to listen to her Handel's Messiah with her. When I answered "yes" she went ballistic! She said her roommates were tired of hearing it. So to my Sporks I think of you every time I listen to the Messiah.
So for those of you that never listened to it before or maybe you haven't yet this year, don't be afraid to find it and listen with an open heart, and bare with the opera style, instead listen to the words. Hmmm... just posting makes we want to listen to it again. ;)
Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog! Yes, I do wear skirts and dresses - not because I'm a Baptist, but because I believe the Bible clearly commands women to be modest. It sure is nice to find a like-minded girl - can't wait to read your blog! MERRY CHIRSTMAS!
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI actually found your blog through a comment that you left on Rebecca's blog.
I must agree with you, I love to listen to the Messiah. Just last night, my family and I went to see it live in Carnegie Hall. It was beautiful!
One of my very favorite songs is, "For Unto us a Child is Born."
Have a very Merry Christmas!