Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Consequences of Complaining

I was praying the other day and the Lord brought something to mind. I was convicted lately about complaining and this is the thought the Lord gave me:
The Israelites were known for their grumbling and complaining in the wilderness. God had taken them from Egypt with the promise of the land flowing with milk and honey; all they had to do was follow Him. Yet, what did they do? Murmur and complain
*See Exodus 16:7-12, 17:3 and Numbers 14:1-4, 26-34 They complained about not having food, then water, and then that they were going to be defeated by their enemies. They complained to Moses and Aaron, who in turn said “Hey! Why are you complaining to us? We are just doing what God tells us! You aren’t complaining about our decisions, you are complaining about God’s” (Yes, this is my paraphrased version.)
Think of the results of their complaining. God didn’t allow them to go into the Promised Land, He killed them off. They ruined their chance of the greatest blessings of God by complaining, they saw God work and lead, yet still they complained.

Now to the practical application:
God has led me to this college and He’s “called” me to study here because it’s going to prepare me for the Promised Land later. But if I keep sitting around murmuring and complaining about the changes I don’t like I’m not complaining about the authorities’ decisions in my life, I’m complaining about God’s decisions!
I may miss out on the greatest blessings of God because I repeatedly disobey with my complaining. So, I can stop and have the chance to see the Promised Land (God’s specific will for me later) or I can keep complaining and risk the chance of God taking me out. He may not do it physically but I may never get to do His specific will for my life because I will not trust the way He is leading. Quite a sobering thought.
So, my challenge is: Will you continue complaining when you think about the severe consequences of it against our God?
Just remember that complaining about one thing in your life leads to complaining about everything in your life. It’s like a disease, but Praise the Lord it’s curable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!