Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Home Made Toothpaste

Sometimes I get so Frustrated with myself because I can't remember which way the pictures will come up on this.
So this top picture is the end product.
I keep mine in a plastic container, but I
gave some to a friend to try in a plastic baggie.
 You can purchase little salad dressing containers
at the grocery store.
This would be ideal for each member of your family.
You just dip your brush right in.

2-3 T. Coconut oil
1-2 pkt. stevia
1/8 - 1/4 t. Peppermint extract
1/8 t. fine ground sea salt
1/2 c or more baking soda



 This will be your list of Ingredients


Partially melt oil in the microwave (15 seconds).
 Stir in peppermint extract.
Add salt and stevia and stir to disolve partially.
Your coconut oil will look like this when you melt it.
Just stir it to finish melting it.

Add baking soda to the desired texture.
Also be aware that it will thicken slightly as the coconut
oil thickens, so keep it a little on the wetter side.

This will be your finished product.
NOTE it will thicken slightly as it cools.
And if it dries out in a couple weeks just add a
little bit of water and stir.

Now comes the "why's" of what I used.
So here is my research:
Stevia is a plant based sweetener,
and it has been proven it will not cause tooth decay. YAY!
Without this in the toothpaste you will gag.

Coconut oil is one of the main parts of toothpaste,
it's what holds it all together.
Don't worry it won't leave a greasy
feel on your teeth.
It actually feels wonderful.
Coconut oil helps kill bacteria in your mouth,
Keeping you ph levels where they should be.


Baking soda!
This one is kinda a given,
it's obviously a cleaner.
It is mildly abrasive, but I read it is less
abrasive than store bought toothpaste.
An extra added bonus is it will whiten over time.

Now.
The first batch I made I didn't have this
so I didn't put it in and to tell you the truth,
I like it better without.
 When you use it, you have to add more stevia
 in order to counteract the saltiness.
But sea salt helps heal your gums and any sores in your mouth,
with natural minerals found in the ocean.

The recipes I looked at actually called for peppermint essential oils.
But I didn't have any and the oils tend to be expensive.
The extract works just fine.
Mint also kills bacteria in your mouth.
 

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, you should check the word "coconut" right underneath the picture of the oil...because there's a slightly funny mistake. But I think I really want to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you've got us hooked! We're going to be making some of this! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!