Wednesday, June 12, 2013
The Woods
Alone.
The woods.
I forgot how much I missed them, how much I love them.
I love them with other people, but something is different when one is alone.
There’s nothing like walking in the woods when the morning is new,
the song of the birds are loud,
the squirrels are curious,
the deer are spooked by their disturbed slumber.
Or maybe then the sun is setting,
Golden rays cutting through the green canopy,
thick enough you could almost touch it,
the drilling of a woodpecker,
the crunch of the leaves under foot.
I have no discomfort being alone in the woods,
Not like the unease I feel at being in the city in the dark.
(Thankfully I don’t deal with this much).
Alone, yet not alone.
What is it about the woods that makes it easier to talk to my Lord?
To feel my heart is in tune with Him.
I think it is the stillness, it calms my heart,
making me forget the things I’m busy with,
and give Him the things that I am burdened with.
The woods,
My getaway to giveaway my cares
to the One who can change them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That was beautiful; really enjoyed that post. I too miss the woods; I have a nice little wooded area right next to our apt. but I wouldn't go in them. There isn't much wood in the city, except in the buildings and houses, Lol. We do go on nice walks at a place called Wildwood; It's a nice getaway from it all. :)
ReplyDelete