Last minute last week my friend called and asked if I wanted to go with her to pick a few strawberries, she had already picked once but wanted a few more. So we did and though I didn’t take pictures there actually picking I snapped some at home when I was getting them ready to freeze. I didn’t make jam right away because I still have some in the freezer.
But I did make a strawberry Shortcake or Longcake as Working Man called it last night. I was trying to find a recipe for the shortcake because everyone has a different version in their mind, but the one we always ate was more like a sweet biscuit than a cake. Mom always used the recipe on the jiffy Baking mix box. But I didn’t have any baking mix.
So I searched on the wonderful, world, wide, web… And came up with nothing. So I decided to make a batch of biscuits, add sugar, extra liquid, and Walla! Strawberry shortcake baked in a cast iron pan, YUM! I could just eat the shortcake itself.
You have to love the sugar crystals on the side of the strawberry bowl!
And of course to make my life a little more complicated, I used Whipping cream and made my own whipped Topping.
I have to say I’m in love with homemade whipped topping, it’s supper easy peasy to make and I could just sit and shovel it in.
As you can tell I’m working on bettering my food photography.
And this was just an added bonus, I ran in Goodwill the other day and as I quickly browsed through skirts, the pattern of this one jumped out at me. It’s kinda obvious that I like the aqua, turquoise color for clothes, a large majority of my closet clothes have that color in them.
I just loved the length and flow of the skirt. But there was a problem… the skirt was a size 20. Umm I wear things big sometimes but not that big. But I thought it would be easy to alter it so I grabbed it up. I ended up putting a tuck in the side, and sewed down about 8 inches, creating a small bustle. The right picture shows the bustle a little.
Here’s a closer up shot of the gather. I think it turned out great, I probably could have took it in a little more, but I can still adjust that.
Now, if I could only figure out how to get the safety pin out of the gather without having to rip out the seam. Hmmm….
You're food photos are getting better!! Wow!! I really like the skirt!!
ReplyDeleteNice skirt! And that's a cool idea for making skirts smaller, that bustle.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are looking amazing! All of them! What editor did you use for the family photos a couple posts down? I need to learn how to take photographs like that!!
ReplyDelete