I apologize for not posting last week. I will try to make it up to you all by posting today. I did manage to get on the internet last week but it was to look for places to stay on our upcoming vacation.
But yesterday was a good day. A fun day. A girl day. I didn’t take a camera because I didn’t want to haul it around. Leaving before 9am I picked up two friends and headed to Raleigh to meet more friends at the state farmer’s market. Some were looking for supplies for salsa endeavors, and others(myself included) were on the hunt for peaches, because who in their right mind doesn’t love a good peach. You know the kind you eat and as you do the juice runs down your chin and arms.
(This was after I made the pie and canned some)
After we secured our findings and filled the trunk of the car,we went in the other buildings and looked around. Some tried old bottled soda’s, Muscadine slushies, and Lauren and I tried a honey stick. I tried the chai spice and she tried the peppermint.
I did score a half bushel box of overripe white peaches for $10. The lady told me that’s equal to about 25 pounds.
So today I was going to make jam but didn’t have enough small lids to can the jam but decided to use the lids I had to can some peaches. I made a simple light syrup of sugar and water. I filled the jars with the sliced peaches poured the syrup on them, capped them and water bathed them for 20minutes. And they turned out this lovely “peach” color.
Tomorrow is jam, and maybe some spiced peaches. Ooh! Doesn’t that sound yummy? Crack open a can, heat them up and eat them with some vanilla ice cream!
I still have some zucchini to deal with and two HUGE bunches of bananas. And my cucumber plants are still steadily producing, along with Working Man’s pepper plants.
I also created this:
A peach crisp pie.
I know, the best of both worlds, right?
I made chicken pie for supper, so I had enough leftover dough for a bottom crust of a small pie and since I was peeling peaches in the process I decided to experiment.
Some people do crumb topped pies, I’ve never made one, because I love crust.
But I also love crisp.
So I made a crisp topping and put over my peaches.
It turned out pretty good. Fresh peaches are a little different to bake with because they have all that juice, which makes it hard to get the bottom crust of your pie done. I did coat them in a little flour and sugar. There’s a small spot in the middle of the pie that the crust wasn’t quite done,but it tasted good anyway.
Anyway, I’ve got a busy day so I better get a move on.
p.s. this was written LAST night,so today is really my jam making day, along with a bulletin board I need to finish, prayer lists to print…Yikes! I better get a move on!
See Ya!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!