Sunday we didn’t do much, the small church we had planned on going to was closed down and being remodeled when we got there so we stopped at another “baptist” church in town. After enduring Sunday School we snuck out before church, there were some major issues with that church and fellowshipping was not an option. What a reminder of what we have back home, and how we most times take it for granted and think there’s lots more churches like us out there. I will tell you there were very few good “mountain” churches that believe like we do and the few I did find weren’t near where we were staying.
On the way back to the cabin we saw and antique mall, yeah a MALL full of OLD Stuff! So Working Man and I looked around for about an hour and then we stopped off somewhere to grab something for lunch. In the afternoon we decided to head over to the actual Natural Bridge. We thought it was free…Wrong! You can’t even see it at all unless you pay. And want to take a guess how much? $18 whoppers a person. Nope, we didn’t want to see it that bad! Even if George Washington surveyed it and carved his name in a rock. Home again, home again, jiggity-jig… We spent the rest of the day just resting at the cabin, and planning for Monday.
Monday morning we got up and left in search of that waterfall again. We had planned on going to Shenandoah National Park but it was going to be a long drive just to get to the interesting parts, so we opted for the waterfall and another trail we had passed.
This barn was on the way to the waterfall, I couldn’t catch it in time when we passed it on Saturday, but this time I did. The only problem was that the car sat so low I couldn’t get a picture without the guard rail in the way. Oh well! There was an old tractor in the barn.
Falling Springs falls is supposedly one of the most visited waterfalls in Virginia. I wonder how many people try to visit but can’t find it? It took us two tries!
Anyway this was what you saw from the scenic overlook.
And this was the most awesome swimming hole I have ever seen. The minerals in the water made it an aqua blue and see through. It was beautiful but neither of us had extra clothes along to change into if we swam. So we didn’t. But if we ever go back we will take swimming stuff. There was also a couple rope swings, since the water was so deep. This was above the water fall, thus this water is what flows over the falls.
From the bottom I was trying to catch the water with a slower shutter speed, so it looks “fuzzy” or “misty” or some other descriptive word, describing how some pictures catch the rush of the water.
Ok, there were nook and crannies with all sorts of slime and moss growing on them and the only thing I could think of what Narnia.
Puddleglum anyone?
The following picture is a to show you the magnitude of the falls in comparison to Working Man. Yup, he’s the little guy at the bottom. I honestly forget(due to my neglect of posting sooner) how tall the falls are, part of me wants to say 200 feet and another part wants to say 800, but I think that might be a little off.
Because of the mist that surrounds the area the vegetation was lush and beautiful.
After wading and wishing we had brought extra clothes we climbed back up to where the car was to eat out picnic lunch.
And what picnic lunch would be complete without Martin’s Barbeque Chips. Well my husband doesn’t care what kind of chips…to him you can’t eat a sandwich if you don’t have chips to eat with it. Good Grief!
This was a quick stop amid the winding roads at a scenic overlook:
And then we stopped and hiked on the James River Trail. It’s a lot like the rail trail in PA, partly because it was an old railroad bed. So it was a nice level, wide graveled walking trail…
And this very strange rock formation.
I was trying to catch this butterfly in a shot and took like 20 trying to get the lighting to my liking. Hey! that rhymes!
Despite it being a River Trail, most of the time it was too far from the water to see through the high brush, but it was a nice leisurely walking place. And I told Working Man I could ride bike on something like this…
If I rode bike,
which I don’t,
Because, well, we won’t go into all the gross details here.
After leaving there the goal was to stop at this little ice cream place for a cone before the hour drive home.
They weren’t open Mondays,
of Course!
Off to the cabin for more relaxing…
did I mention the porch swing?
Oh, well I have to talk more about that the next time.
I’m working on getting the rest of the vacation pictures and a post together so I don’t leave you all hanging forever,
bored by my lack of posting.
Truly, it has been so crazy busy here lately.
I hope life slows down soon…
Fun! Mmm I could eat some Martin's. C'mon, tell us why you don't ride bike!:D
ReplyDeleteIn your own descriptive words: splendiferous and lovely. Them Appalachians are hard to beat. 3rd, 8th, and 13th pictures are "calendar worthy." I think Bro. Parks said it was 80 feet. Yeah, tell us the bike thing.
ReplyDelete