A Welcomed Visitor
This morning as I awoke I didn't want open my eyes, to leave the warmth of my bed. You see this morning as I looked at the outside temperature on my phone it registered at 48 degrees. Today was September 14th. And the deliciously cool morning was the evidence of a coming visitor. A very welcome visitor after this brutal summer here in the south. It caught me off guard. I knew it was to cool off but so sudden! I really was taken aback by the chill.
After sending Working Man off with a kiss and his lunch I ran to the small lingering warmth trapped in my bedcovers and dove back in. I love cool mornings. Not the unbearably cold mornings where all I want to do is practically sit on the fire in the fireplace, but the mornings where coolness beckons me to snuggle in the covers a bit longer and yet calls me to don a sweater and enjoy its beauty before the North winds blow.
So after lingering a bit longer in my cozy bed I decided I needed to get up and face the chill. Today was the day, my official proclamation of autumn. I donned thick knee socks and my chunky sweater over my dress. I let the furry rascal in the door and she was frisky from the cool air, tromping about with energy that made me smile. Oh to be scamper in the morning!
I perched the tea kettle on the burner and set it to heat while I fixed my tea bag and cup. Once it sang it's merry tune I brewed a cup o' chai and settled into my reading chair. I dream of one day having a cozy library or den to put my my chair in, but to be honest it's been so homey to have it in the kitchen. Many have sat in that chair to chat while I fixed something to eat or been talked to while I held a phone to my ear.
The cool temperature made me excited, excited for all the thing I love about fall. The linger of woodsmoke in the air. The Lord painting the tree leaves all hues of reds, yellows, oranges, and browns. The recipes filled with harvest fruits and spices, all things pumpkin, apples, cinnamon. The putting away of the summer wardrobe and the donning of warm weather clothes.
Because of the excitement of autumn I got the idea that I wanted to crochet something new for fall. And since it was grocery day and I was going to Walmart anyway I decided to pick up a deep mustard yellow chunky yarn to crochet into a cowl scarf. The yarn is sitting on the table waiting to be spun into gold, a burnt gold cowl. (Rumplestiltskin anyone?)
I still live in the south, so Fall is only here in the morning and evening, since in the south it is possible to be fall in the morning and not the afternoon. It rose to 80 degrees this afternoon. But Mr. Fall and I shall visit in the mornings until he comes for a more permanent visit.
Hello September.
Welcome Autumn, please come to stay!
I love the creativity you expressed in this post!! So excited to welcome fall!!!
ReplyDelete