Monday, February 1, 2016

February Water Challenge

 
Who's up for a Challenge?
 A Challenge that may change your health.


 
Most people have goals at the beginning of the year. Goals for better health in the new year. It may be a new diet for some. More exercise for others. And then others, like myself, hope to get better in my water intake for the day.
We all know water is important to our bodies. A large majority of our bodies are water, seventy-five percent to be exact. And God created water to do a multitude of functions: flush toxins from your body, remove waste, aid in digestion, provide nourishment, and many other things. Water is essential for healthy living.
 
The Information
I recently read an article in a health catalog/magazine that I order from. It was entitled The Danger of Dehydration (read it here). Lets just say it was very eye opening. Most every beverage except for water will dehydrate your body. The average American doesn't drink enough water to compensate for the dehydrating beverages and the result can be chronic dehydration. A large majority of illnesses people develop can be remedied with proper intake of water.
There are many common indicators of dehydration. Lack of energy(who doesn't have that!) and pain are two. Pain is the brain's response to a shortage of water in your body. This continual pain is many times diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis, lower back problems, fibromyalgia, migraines, and various other ways. Most people end up taking a pain medicine for that pain which further dehydrates the body.
Brain fog is another dehydration indicator occurring because the brain requires more water than any other part of your body.  Dehydration can lead to stress on your major organs, such as your kidneys,  which can eventually lead to kidney damage. Many kidney transplants today are a result of dehydration.
 
The Challenge
What I am planning is challenging myself on drinking the proper amount of water for my body weight. Did you catch that? A 175 man doesn't require the amount of water I do. I found this helpful chart to estimate what you need.
Source
And let me explain those ounces for a minute. Take out your glass measuring cup. 8oz. is equal to one cup. A pint mason jar(which is what I drink out of a lot) is 2 cups=16oz. I think I may put a pitcher in the fridge that hold the amount I need to drink everyday. I think having a visual will make it easier for me to drink what I need to.
I am setting guideline. Like only 1 can of soda the whole month and only one sugary coffee drink a week. Every caffeinated beverage (coffee, soda, or tea) will use three cups of water to remove the caffeine from your body. I'm not going to worry about adding those 3 cups of water every time I drink a coffee drink, that's why I decided to set limits. I drink a cup of tea every morning with a little sugar but I plan on still doing that, so you morning coffee drinkers- go ahead and still do your thing. My purpose of this challenge is to get myself in the habit of drinking the amount of water I need every day. I'll update throughout the month and give some idea of how to make all that water bearable.
 
The Results
I am hoping to not have any headaches this month. I don't have one often but when one does come on it's really bad and I end up taking something before I lose my innards and have to go straight to the dark bedroom. But take note of how you feel today(tired, pain, irregular bowel movements, and so on) and then take note at the end of the month and see if there's any improvement!
 
So are you ready for the water challenge?
Please leave a comment if you plan on joining the
challenge, we can be accountable to each other!
 
If you are interested in the health catalog that I get, I order from Nature's Warehouse. Their quarterly catalog are always full of excellent articles of herbs, recipes, and healthy living articles. Their prices are reasonable and most times I order online and find that the prices are even cheaper than the catalog. If you do order and you think about it there's a place to mention how you were referred to them, and I would appreciate if you would mention me. I'll get a discount on my next order. Thanks!
 
Information and research was based on the article The Dangers of Dehydration by Andreas Moritz. It can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. I will do the challenge!!!! :)....You probably don't know me, but I'm a friend of Bethany Byler! I found your blog on the side of The Byler Bunch!...I'm looking forward to doing the challenge, thanks for posting it! :)
    -Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you are joining me Dee! Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  2. Someone just asked me if I was drinking enough after talking about some stiff joints all over..thyanks for the chart..amazing! I will try..lol... Mrs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized how many problems are linked to dehydration until I read that article. I thought the chart was great too! More water intake than we already do isn't going to hurt anything that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. I really need to do this. I have always struggled with just drinking. I know I don't drink enough of anything period let alone water. Most days I get so busy with life that I forget to drink. Would appreciate prayers that I'd do this well. Thanks for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pray for you. If you fall behind a day don't quit! Just start again the next day... I thought I drank a pretty good amount of water during the day but I found out I wasn't.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!