Happy First Wednesday of April! I decided to post my Digging Deep in the Word series on the first Wednesday of every month, instead of every week like Sandy at Creating Kilter and Anna at Grace Happening .
This week is a busy one, my sister-in-law is getting married on Friday and being the matron of honor and married to the best man means we've been really busy. On top of that, getting ready to move into my father-in-law's house means I've been packing our stuff here and hauling it little by little over there.
But I have been really working thinking over what I am sharing today. In the midst of my month of reading a Proverb everyday (that I mentioned in this post) I read a verse that catches my attention every time I read chapter Fourteen.
"Every wise woman buildeth her house,
but the foolish teareth it down with her hands."
Proverbs 14:1
An Except from my Journals:
"Proverbs 14:1. It gets me every time. I meditate for days. 'What all does that verse mean?' I want to be known as a wise woman and I certainly want to build my house and not tear it down.
And from what I study, and read, and meditate on, I'm realizing a wise woman is a manager of the home. A wise manager of the home. Matthew Henry says: 'But by a prudent(wise) wife, one that is pious, industrious, and considerate, the affairs of the family are made to prosper, debts are paid, portions are raised, provisions made, the children well educated and maintained, and the family has comfort within doors and credit without, thus is the house built.'
I've been reading in The Life-Giving Home by Sally and Sarah Clarkson {which is an EXCELLENT read!} and Sally talks of being the conductor of a life symphony, the life music of home, its atmosphere. It's keeping everything in its place in the concert: everyone playing the same rhythm, in key, in beautiful harmony together."
Okay, so a wise woman is a manager. Got it. Except what does that involve? I've never been a manager in a job position but I know enough to say a manager is someone in leadership who helps things take place in an organized manner. Whether it's a sports manager, a restaurant manager, or a manager of a prestigious company, they all organize their field so everything runs smoothly Here are some things that come to my mind when I think of a Wise Woman Manager:
- A Manager of Home
- A Manager of Herself
- A Manager of Her Man
- A Manager of Her Time
Let's delve into each of them a little deeper...
1. A Manager of Home
When I reference home I'm speaking of the house where you live, the haven you create for you
and your loved ones to retreat to. Managing the home involves many aspects of your house: the
cleaning of your home, the organizing of your home, the decorating of your home, the
atmosphere of your home, and the activities of your home. There are more of course but your
don't want to be at the computer screen reading my post all day!
--To me a clean home doesn't necessarily mean it's spotless. Cleaning is very important but so
is making your home a place for loved ones to feel comfortable, not afraid they are going to drop
hair on the carpet or leave crumbs on the table and it turns you into a maniacal monster. There
are certain things that will not bother me if they aren't done (I mean they do get done, but I can
relax in the evening with Working Man and not twitch because these things aren't done) dusting
and dishes (Gasp! Sorry Mom!). I've come to realize that people are more important than the
counter being clear of dirty dishes. Sometimes we do them together, but sometimes we just want
to hang out together and I'm great with that. But I am not able to relax well in a room where
there is clutter everywhere, and I hate walking on dirty floors.
--An organized home is hard work, but rewarding work. The saying is still true: "A place for
everything and everything in it's place." Organization is just your system for keeping order in
your house. Keeping things together that go together. Office supplies together, sewing supplies
together, crocheting supplies together, woodworking tools together...you get the drift. Personally
I don't like visual clutter, so if I can organize it behind closed doors or at least hide it in cute
square cornered baskets (no round please!) I feel better. Everybody is different. Find what you
love.
--Decorating is personal too. Everyone has there own taste. To me contemporary/modern is not
comfortable, but to someone else it may be. If I had to try to describe my taste in decorating I
guess I would say Vintage Farm Cottage. Home decorating is more than your taste in design
though. The way you decorate your home will determine how comfortable your loved ones and
visitors will feel. Create a home that fosters learning, storytelling, resting, laughing, loving.
--Atmosphere{Definition: the pervading tone or mood of a place} When I think of atmosphere I
think of senses. It's what the house smells like when someone walks in. It's what's heard when
someone walks into your house or when they are eating in your home. Obviously sight is
involved but we already touched on that. Taste, food and talk around it is food for the soul.
People will remember that banana bread you shared over a cup of coffee while they shared their
heart. And I think atmosphere also involves your spirit, is there a frenzied spirit, one of irritation,
or do you have a calm welcoming spirit?
--And lastly, the activities of your home. Managing times of activity that take place in your home
ensures there are times for fun and times of rest. Be sure to have joyful activities and celebrations
in your home, whether birthdays or holidays or fun days just-because. It's important to have a
home that is open and inviting to others, sharing what the Lord has blessed you with, with others.
On the flip-side though be careful of having too many activities and running going on, your home
must always be that haven of rest, to relax from the hurried pace of life.
ensures there are times for fun and times of rest. Be sure to have joyful activities and celebrations
in your home, whether birthdays or holidays or fun days just-because. It's important to have a
home that is open and inviting to others, sharing what the Lord has blessed you with, with others.
On the flip-side though be careful of having too many activities and running going on, your home
must always be that haven of rest, to relax from the hurried pace of life.
Obviously I am not even going to try to write about the other points a Wise Woman manages but check back for more installments. It's been convicting, and eye opening to meditate on all the things a Homemaker, a Wise Woman, should manage.
Can you think of any other points on managing the home
that I didn't touch on?
This in linked up with:




I can just hear myself telling the kids, "I just mopped this floor!" Lol, thanks for the reminder, I needed that!
ReplyDeleteHaha! I think we all need reminded, we feel a great accomplishment of speaky clean floors. Lol just yesterday I mopped all the floors and then made bbq chicken. What was I expecting?! Haha!
DeleteHello this is my first time reading your blog. I found you after going through the "Red Head Can Decorate" link party. Anyway I really appreciate your post this week and can add a few more things to what I manage, one you hit upon was the goings all the time, I am the chauffeur a lot so I can relate to this one. Another is money (my husband does not like to do this) neither do I but someone has too.
ReplyDeleteHope the Wedding went well and I can't wait to read your next thoughts. Connie
Hi and welcome! So glad you stopped by! Money and resources are another great topic! Come again!
Deleteespecially love these last two points!! "atmosphere also involves your spirit, is there a frenzied spirit, one of irritation,or do you have a calm welcoming spirit" very convicting to me right now. :)
ReplyDeleteI know meditating on this subject was very convicting to me too. I HIGHLY recommend the Life-giving home. I'm just soaking it all in. It's like reading what I believe and want and someone wrote it all out for me. I love how the Lord aligns things like that in our lives.
DeleteGreat list! I will also add our "moods' as we women set the thermostat in our homes :) Thank you for linking this week at the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great one! The wife does set the tone in the home.
DeleteThanks so much for stopping by. It was fun to be part of your link up.