Sunday, May 1, 2016

Anne Of Green Gables

 
In honor of the almost year ago trip I took with my Mom and sister to Prince Edward Island, I decided to post more of the 1,000 pictures I took while there. After coming home I was itching to read the Anne series again. And I did read the first book again a few months ago and marked down some of my favorite quotes from the book. And I fell in love with the book and the island all over again. The only other place I long for as much is Colorado.So today, enjoy the quotes from L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables and some pictures of the isle.

"Oh, Matthew, isn't it a wonderful morning? The world looks like something God had just imagined for His own pleasure, doesn't it? those trees look as if I could blow them away with a breath- pouf! I'm so glad I live in a world where there are white frosts, aren't you?

p. 144
 

"Anne and Diana found the drive home as pleasant as the drive in - pleasanter, indeed, since there was the delightful consciousness of home waiting at the end of it...Beyond, the Avonlea hills came out darkly against the saffron sky. Behind them the moon was rising out of the sea that grew all radiant and transfigured in her light. Every little cove along the curving road was a marvel of dancing ripples. The waves broke with a soft swish on the rocks below them, and the tang of the sea was in the strong, fresh air.
'Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home,' breathed Anne
When she crossed the log bridge over the brook the kitchen light of Green Gables winked hera friendly welcome back, and through the open door shone the hearth fire, sending out its warm red glow athwart the chilly autumn night. Anne ran blithely up the hill and into the kitchen, where a hot supper was waiting on the table."
pp.236-237
 
 
"It's nicer to think dear, pretty thoughts and keep them in one's heart, like treasures. I don't like to have them laughed at or wondered over."
p.254
 
"...She drank in thebeauty of the summer dusk, sweet-scented with flower-breaths from the garden below and sibilant and rustling from the stir of poplars. The eastern sky above the firs was flushed faintly pink from the reflection of the west, and Anne wondering dreamily if the spirit of color looked like that..."
p.262
 
 
"I shall give life here my best, and I believe it will give its best to me in return. When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla. I wonder how the road beyond it geos- what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows- what new lanscapes- what new beauties- what curves and hills and valleys further on."
p.303
 
"...all Avonlea lay before her in a dreamlike afterlight- 'a haunt of ancient peace'. There was a freshness in the air as of a wind that had blown over honey-sweetened fields of clover. Home lights twinkled out here and there among the homestead treen. Beyond lay the sea, misty and purple, with its haunting, unceasing murmur. The west was a glory of soft mingled hues, and the pond reflected them all in still softer shadings. The beauty of it all thrilled Anne's heart, and she gratefully opened the gates of her soul to it.
'Dear old world, ' she murmured, 'you are very lovely, and I'm glad to be alive in you'."
p.306
 



6 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss Prince Edward Island and our time there!!! This post made me miss it more...lets go back, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, lets! I'll pack tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like such a lovely trip! I've been listening to the series on Librovox.org and have really enjoyed them. They don't have all of them, but I'm loving what they do have, especially the dramatic ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://librivox.org/

      I spelled it wrong, but here it is if you wanna check it out. There are many books to choose from. 😉

      Delete
    2. It was so much fun and the island is so breathtaking and quaint. I'll have to check out that site.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!