Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Digging Deep | Scripture Journaling

(Note: This was written yesterday)

Welcome to the first installment of Digging Deep for 2017 on the last day of January! In honor of a new year I thought it might be fun to have an updated graphic!


Since this is the last day of January I thought I would share something new I've been doing in my devotions. If you read my post on my journals and plans for the new year you will have seen that I am trying Scripture journaling this year.
Can I just say what a blessing this has been to me? Since I'm going for a BIG journaling approach this year, I enjoy this time of writing the Word of God.


I came across the idea on Pinterest while searching for hand lettered verses to use for my chalk board. I believe the thought behind it all is to use this exclusively for your devotions, but I am using it as a supplement to my Bible reading. I should clarify that this isn't the other popular Bible journaling going on, where you hand etter, draw and color in your actual Bible. Though I have done some colorful marking in my Cambridge wide margin Bible (which I love), I'm not ready to turn my Bible into a coloring book, it's too distracting for me to read the Scripture later.
If you search Bible Journaling list, your search engine should bring up quite a few options. I personally used one of the Lists from Sweet to the Soul. And I plan on using another one of their lists for February. I like that their's seem to be themed instead of just by month, for example, the one I am excited about using for February is on Anchored Hope.


On their list the give five steps (read, reflect, relate, pray, remember) for using their lists. This is where I feel like it seems like this is going to be your sole devotional program. I don't follow their steps, but I will share what I do.

1. Read the Scripture for the Day
I have a section in my bullet journal for this practice of Scripture Journaling. When I find the passage for the day and read it I take note of any words or phrases that stick out to me. In case I've never mentioned it, I have a thing for phrases, when I read the Bible they tend to jump out to me.

2. Prep for my journaling
So after reading the passage and paying attention to any significant words, I prep my journal page. I am using a journal that's close to an 8x11 page.



I can normally fit a whole week's Scripture journaling on two pages. I've been using a hexagon shape to encase the date and Scripture passage reference. And I'm sticking with two main pen colors, peach and aqua.
3. Hand Letter the Daily Verse
You by no means have to hand letter your verse, you would benefit by simply writing it in your own handwriting. I just enjoy hand lettering. So when I letter the verse, those words or phrases that stuck out to me I try and accentuate with more elaborate script, Enlarged size, all caps, bold look, ect...

This whole process takes anywhere from five to ten minutes at the beginning of my devotions. Such a small amount of time for such a beneficial practice. In all honesty, a lot of the verses on the list I used for January were verses I've been familiar with my whole life. But taking the time to read one verse, slowly, listening for special words or phrases, and taking the time to write it has made me appreciate those verses all over again. I feel like my Bible reading and the Scriptures as a whole can become so routine to me, my brain shifts to auto pilot and I scan with no comprehension. This small exercise has made me meditate on those verses more than I would have just reading the passage. So, while I don't follow the "exact" guidelines for Scripture Journaling, the way I'm using it has been so beneficial for me. Maybe you need a little change up in your devotional routine, or you want to do something a little more. You could even memorize the verse for the day. I can promise you will receive a blessing from any time spent in the Word of God and this is no exception.

Have you ever done Scripture Journaling?
Do you use another method?
Just for fun...What book of the Bible are you currently reading?
(I'm slowly reading through Ecclesiastes)

4 comments:

  1. Love your ideas for journaling! Although I've done some here and there, I've had a hard time keeping consistent. This makes me want to get back on it again!! When I've done it I write out verses that stick out to me and usually write why they did. I'm currently reading in Exodus, part of my aim of reading through the Bible in chronological order this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done journaling like you said also, what I learned in my devotions, a verse that stuck out, ect...
      I've never read the whole Bible through chronologically, but I have done sections, like the Gospels and the time of the kings. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I love the look of your journal! I will from time to time do something similar to that but with less fancy :) I really love writing out a verse a day, though. If I have time to make it look pretty that makes it even a little more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thanks. To tell you the truth the more I use different lettering, the less time consuming it is. I used to take forever to write one word. Haha! I'd love to see some of your pretty journaling sometime.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!