Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Lesson From Germany

Spending time with my family yesterday got me to thinking about one of the biggest things I learned while I was over in Germany. I seemed to have forgotten some of the things I learned. How could I forget? It's a good thing I wrote in a journal everyday, so I'll never forget it. But back to the lesson I learned...

While in Germany I was away from my family and friends, of course. Though the Robinson's were wonderful and I called home twice a week it still wasn't the same as being with my family. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my family and spend much time with them. And I love and missed my friends, you know who you are: you're there to encourage me, rebuke me, love me, and care about me. Being away from everyone though was just what the Lord knew I needed.

You see, I realized how much I had taken my family for granted. Hard to believe, isn't it? I also learned that not even your friends or family could be there for you all the time, and know just the right thing to say to you.But, I found a friend that I seemed to have taken for granted. He was there with me, always telling me the exact thing I needed. He fights for me, loves me, cares for me unconditionally. Yes, the Lord became my best friend, I could talk to Him about everything, things I couldn't even tell friends. He knew what was in my heart even if I couldn't find the way to say it. I learned to fully rely on Him. He showed me how precious my family was and how I had taken them for granted, how I let things come between us. I cared more about my friends and their lives than my own family. The realization that my family and my Lord were the only real best friends in this world hit hard. No matter what I say, think, and do, good or bad, I know that I can always go to them. They are there and will forgive me for anything. They understand me better than anyone else ever will. They're there for me no matter what. I still love those of you close friends, but I realized you all will be moving on in your lives, we may drift apart, but my family and my Lord are always there.

So just a quick challenge: Are you taking your family for granted? Do care more for your friends than you family and your Lord? Let your Lord and your family be your best friends, the ones you go to first.

1 comment:

  1. some of us do not have a close family or the family we do have are not saved. Family will leave you hanging and disapoint you more than you know. There are many verses about being a good friend. I think that friends are very important. Not that you will keep the same friends forever but that wherever you go you make new friends by either winning them to Christ or finding a saved friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!