Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Titus 2 Woman



 
As I was studying Titus chapter two the other day I decided to search out some of the words. What interesting things I found.

 
There is an example for the aged (older) women to set:

 
  • Holiness - reverent, to be proper, suitable, or sacred
  • Not False Accusers (Greek: Diabalos) - Devil, Traduce (to be very critical)
  • Not given to much wine- Not enslaved or given to alcohol
  • Teachers of good things - a teach of right, virtue


Then Paul goes on to tell what these women are to impart to the younger generation:
  • Soberness - a disciplines, self-controlled sound mind
  • Love their Husbands - this love is a fondness, affectionate love, to be a friend of her man. 
  • Love their Children - the same kind of love: fondness, maternal, and to be a friend
  • Discreetness - Sound in mind, self-controlled feelings
  • Chaste - Properly, clean, innocent, modest
  • Keepers at Home - a guard, stayer at home
  • Good - well, properly beautiful, valuable and virtuous 
  • Obedient to husband - submit yourself to, put under, from the Greek word tasso meaning to arrange into an orderly manner
  • Not Blasphemous - so their life doesn’t defame, rail on or speak evil of the Lord.

 
Some of these things I knew and others I forgot, but some others I hadn’t realized. I may not be one of the aged women, but I do have girls younger than me that I spend time with and what I do (my actions) will teach them more than my words.

 
Do we live our lives in a sacred suitable manner that is pleasing to Christ? How is my level of criticalness? Am I teaching right things, that which is virtuous?

 
I found it interesting that the love mentioned is: to be fond of, like preferring to be with those people above anyone else, and to be a friend of them. Then comes the discreetness, boy oh boy self-controlled feelings! That doesn’t always doesn’t happen easily for a girl.

 
Teaching the younger to be good, properly beautiful stuck out to me. Properly beautiful, to me I think the Lord was meaning beauty radiating on the outside from what is within the heart. Not ornamental beauty and what we can do to make ourselves look pretty. If we are beautiful inside, we’ll be beautiful outside.

 
Then the last thing that stuck out to me was the part about obedient to husband. I knew it meant submissive and I knew that meant giving up your own will. You must deny yourself and be put under another. The blessings of such are great. But it was the root word in Greek that got me. This word means To arrange in an orderly manner, this submission is all part of God’s divine order for the home. He knows that brings the greatest peace. And it’s a blessing to see it mentioned here.

 
I hope this was as big of a blessing to you as it was to me. And maybe it will inspire you to dig into His word and find these things for yourself, along with the requirements for a Titus 2 man.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!