Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Yummy, Heart-healthy(Hearty) Lentils

 Boy! This took a while to drag and put them in order! If I was on here more often I wouldn't have this problem. But look I've posted in a weeks time. Hurrah for me!
Since it was a blustery day ( that always makes me think of Winnie the Pooh), I decided to make lentils. Actually I already had the meat thawed since Saturday.

 This is one of those family recipes that doesn't really have a recipe just kind of a list of ingredients. Don't you just love those kind?
It calls for Hamburger, but this time I used ground pork sausage. It was Yummy. 
I'm not a huge burger fan, but this one way I don't mind eating it.

So obviously you start out with dried lentils and half a bag makes a LARGE pot of lentils.
If you've never had lentils, 
It isn't soup-y,
it's kinda stew-ish.
I think it's kinda like a big ole pot of beans with meat gravy juice!
Oh, I wish you could have tasted them tonight! 
I don't even know how to describe them.



You start out by browning your meat. I only had about 1/3 of a pound of meat, though it calls for 1lb.
Then you add one chopped onion and two chopped cloves of garlic. 
Cook and stir on low so your garlic doesn't burn.
Next it calls for one cup of beef broth. (I make my own with bouillon cubes and
 usually I add another cube to the pot). 
I add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water to my meat, then the beef broth. 
Oh, I salt and peppered the meat.

 Then you add the 1/2 bag of lentils.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
After that add 1 cup of water and 1/2 of rice. 
And I salt and pepper again.
Now, watch while it cooks, you don't want it soup-y 
but you don't want it to soak up all the water. 
I think I added another beef cube here.

Simmer for another 30 minutes. And be amazed at the way your house smells.
Cue: In walks husband and says:
"Smells like someone's been cooking in here!"
(This did happen)



This was after I cooked the rice in. 
Then you add some paprika, I really don't
 have the
 faintest idea 
how much.
Just dump 
sprinkle some in.


Then serve.
I should have make a mess of fried potatoes,
 but I didn't think about it  until we were sitting down to eat.
And it's amazing with a big hunk of bread.
Italian,
French, 
Homemade Biscuits,
Cornbread,
or buttered wheat bread like we had.
(I forgot to grab the bread out of the freezer)

Enjoy and don't you dare let that bean-meat gravy juice in your bowl!
Sop it up with a hunk of bread...
Oh My!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!