Friday, May 24, 2013

Lovely Books




To say I like books would be an understatement.
I’ve always liked them, used to get in trouble for reading to much.

Since moving down south I saw a book at the library about a woman who escaped
From the FDLS - the Mormon radical group.
Since I wrote my comparative Religions class in college about Mormonism
I thought it would be interesting to read.
So I finally got around to checking it out from the library.
I was reading it, and got about half way through but it was too much.
I just wasn’t comfortable reading about all their messed up ways
And the Holy Spirit kept pricking my heart as I read.
I knew I had to quit reading it.
I hate not finishing a book.
But I laid it aside.

While I was in Bible college taking classes on teaching,
I loved the class about teaching reading - one of our assignments was to read children’s books.
And there was a series of books recommended for
Middle School age children that I have collected over the last few years.
I didn’t read them before I started collecting because they were recommended.
My sister knows what they are,
I let her borrow them to read them, but she gave them back,
Let’s just say that they are definitely different.
So I had this series that my sister gave back to me,
I wanted to read them and see what they were all about,
I had read the first book but decided to read it again.
Easy reading- I finished the book in a day.
And I determined it was kinda creepy and sad,
And despite the intriguing mystery I didn’t like it.
I looked up the series and author in Wikipedia.
The series was classified as Gothic type.
I hadn’t known that.
 They were recommended at Bible college.
I decided not to read the other books in the series.
The whole time I was reading these books a song kept coming to my mind.
It’s not just a song,
It’s a Scripture song of Philippians 4:8.

“Finally, brethren,
whatsoever things are true,
Whatsoever things are honest,
Whatsoever things are just,
Whatsoever things are pure,
Whatsoever things are lovely,
Whatsoever things are of good report;
If there be any virtue, and if there be any praise,
THINK ON THESE THINGS.”

It’s hard to read when the Lord is sending this song over and over through your mind.
I couldn’t get over three of those traits:

Pure : Innocent, clean, modest
(in the children’s book there was basically reference to possible incest, the relative was going to marry the 14 year old to inherit the fortune)

Lovely: Friendly, acceptable
As a believer, there is a Friend who is always with us. Would I read this outloud to Him?
He knows what you are reading anyway

Good Report: Reputable, well spoken of
Well, the series was well spoken of at college, but I don’t think it would be something
The Lord would recommend. Death, morbid destruction, scary people.
Nope, nothing I want my children to read.

I just thought I would share something the Lord specifically spoke to me about.
I’m so thankful for the prompting and reprimand of the Holy Spirit.
I don’t want to do things that sadden Him.
I need to focus on lovely, pure things.
And just for those who are wondering,
I’m reading A Gown of Spanish Lace
By Janette Oke, I forgot how good,
And pure it is.
A lovely book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!