Tuesday, May 6, 2014

How Doth My Garden Grow

The other day while talking to Mom I realized that I forgot to take picture of my “new” flowerbed and post them. This is what it used to look like:

100_3758

And this is what it looks like now. You see last year it wasn’t a flower bed. I just stacked up the rocks laying around the house to make a rock wall. Since we weren’t doing a garden this year due to the poor soil, I wanted to grow something…So I decided to expand and grow some flowers.

IMG_0529

I also made it longer. And thanks to my husband I was actually able to finish the wall (I needed about double the rocks I started out with) and fill it with dirt. And I was going to buy plants to put it, besides the hosta’s I stole brought from my Mom, but when I didn’t find what I really wanted I bought seeds instead. Plus, it was cheaper. I am going to buy some yellow snapdragons once the seeds come up.

IMG_0530

There are a few zinnias popping out of the ground. YAY! They are a lovely dark purple variety. I went with Purples, yellows and whites.

IMG_0531

IMG_0533

I also wanted to post a picture of the gerbera Daisy that Diane left for us when we returned home from our weekend away. Along with fresh orange juice and Fresh Strawberries and Red Raspberries.  Oh, and about a months supply of food for Monk.Our landlady is so good to us!

As for the other hosta’s, they are LOVING it under our front deck. I knew they would because it stays moist and cool. I only wish I would have separated the plants down even smaller.

IMG_0534

Particularly the two plants on the right.

IMG_0535

Even though we weren’t planting a “real”garden Working Man did want some pepper plants. We got a pack of jalapeños at a small feed store here, but I hunted high and low for habanero and a poblano. The jalapenos are on the left, planted my the side of the shed in our yard. And I dug up out front. I planted about four feet of beans and the other is sunflowers and some flower seeds I had from Grandma’s house that were in a baggie. I think they are a type of love-in-the-mist, blue flower whose seed pods you can bust open.

IMG_0536IMG_0537

Oh yes, Morning glories too, but the right post. This one actually came back from last years. I hope they do better this year, they were pitiful last year.

IMG_0538

 

The opposite side of the shed I dug up and put in some pickling cucumbers I bought from seed savers last year and a small patch of Lime Basil. YUM! Mexican goodness. IMG_0539

The following is one of my cucumber mounds. I hope to get some cucumbers to pickle. I love pickles!

IMG_0540

Pardon the satellite dish, it’s been here since we moved in and it’s getting real close to going to the dumpster. But this is where we He put the other pepper plants. And I hope to dig up the rest of the ground in that section, to keep the caretaker from spraying round-up in there, and I have some radish seeds from last year I want to use.

IMG_0541IMG_0542Mr. PoblanoIMG_0543

IMG_0544

And the Habaneros.

This is my next project, Re-laying the rock near the door. Excuse the trash- it’s headed to the dumpster. Hmm…maybe that dish will jump in the bag.

IMG_0545

I did this rock work last year, which needs a touch up job.

And then I remembered to dig out the crocheted blanket out the closet and snap a picture of it. It’s just a lap blanket, but it took some configuring when I couldn’t buy more of the lighter yarn. I came up with the design and layout myself.

IMG_0546

This square(one of four) was one of the difficult ones I had to rip out twice and flip it around. Each block took about an hour to do like this because you are constantly changing back to the other color.

IMG_0547

I thought I close with the good deal I got yesterday. We saw this last week in Walmart but I didn’t have extra grocery money that week so I left it. I ALWAYS look at their food clearance racks. And ALL 3 bags were still there, so I grabbed one. (if anyone else wants one let me know and I’ll grab it for you).

It’s 100% whole wheat flour from India. Even the package is cool.I paid $9.50. Want to take a guess how big the bag was?

IMG_0551

OK. or you could cheat. It was a 20lbs bag. Try less than $.50 a pound! I just have to figure out what to put it in. I need a big flour barrel like BPS had.

IMG_0552

Anyway. I’ll stop now. Our old phone fritzed out and we had to go out and buy one last night. I’ve now entered the smartphone world, and it’s definitely more high tech than the other one we had. Needless to say, I’ve got a lot of homework to do. Until Next Time…

2 comments:

  1. Lovely!!! Now all you need is some old watering cans or something to put around it so it looks like the era we all wish we lived in......................(the 50's for me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There, I commented. So now I don't qualify as a "blog-stalker".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!