Monday, August 25, 2014

God Bless America…

Adventure

Courtesy of Here

I love this country that we live in, don’t you?

I was joking around with a couple people that we were taking a vacation and covering the part of the song of God Bless America: “From the mountains, to the prairies, to the ocean, white with foam!”

Anyway, I had every intention of posting pictures and an update every day of what we did that day. But due to slow wifi, I am not attempting until now. This is where we are:

IMG_1440

The Mountains…

my favorite.

We are staying at a KOA cabin (Which I will take a picture of tomorrow!), and visiting the surrounding areas, including a few antique shops (the one was a mall! and it took hours to go through! That’s my favorite kind of mall, just wish my antique-loving sister were here too).

Anyway…back to where I was.

The first day we went to Lexington.

Anyone know anything about Lexington?

It’s a historical place.

This is where we went first:

IMG_1330

Thomas make sure your dad knows the first place we stopped on vacation was the graveyard.

But not just any graveyard…

IMG_1325

General Jackson is buried in this graveyard. along with both his wives(the first died after they were only married a few years).

So after we saw his grave, we went here:

IMG_1333

Pardon the orange fencing please. General Jackson’s house.

It’s right on Washington Street, so we took a tour of his house.

He actually taught Virginia Military Institute, down a few blocks.

IMG_1338

Did you know that one of Stonewall Jackson’s favorite pastimes was gardening? Neither did I.

I knew he was a deeply devoted Christian but taking the tour and hearing secular video and lecture about his faith was really interesting.

He got up, read his Bible, prayed, and went for his morning walk around town. This was all before he came home for family devotions…at 7am!

What devotion, and what a heritage our country has of Godly leaders.

IMG_1341

After touring his home we walked a couple blocks {in the rain} to Washington and Lee University, to Lee’s chapel.

Outside the chapel you find this:

IMG_1343

Lee’s horse, Traveller, is buried here. People leave strange things…Thus the carrots!

We also saw Lee’s Crypt(grave) under the chapel and the big statue of him asleep on the battlefield, that his wife had made after he passed away.

IMG_1344

Then we headed to find a waterfall. You know..the kind that all the tourist things say it’s real easy to find, eight miles out of Covington.

I think I overthink things…

IMG_1355

We didn’t find it that day…

But it’s late and I’ll tell you about that maybe tomorrow…

2 comments:

  1. "I'll do'er, I'll tell him the first chainced 'a git." I LOVE the last picksture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stonewall Jackson's house and grave?! That is sooooo awesome! {I'm a little jealous, I must say} =D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!