Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Digging Deep | Ephesians Study

Hello and welcome to the newest installment of the Digging Deep Series! This month I am sharing with you a way to study Ephesians, or any book of the Bible for that matter.
Our Pastor recently started a study of Ephesians on Wednesday nights and gave us a handout, challenging us to do some digging and study on our own. Since I love getting new ideas on ways to change up my devotions and study time I thought I'd share with you.
Sometimes I get in a rut, just reading through a book of the Bible and not taking time to meditate on what I am reading. This method of study focuses on sections of a book rather than just a chapter. The handout we have right now is for Ephesians 1:1-14. Just fourteen verses. Yet there is so much in just those 14 verses. I love to underline and highlight things with color so my paper looks like this so far:

The printable is basically a selection of verses with wide margins on the sides for you to write on. I'm including the things to look for that pastor included in his handout. He told us that he had whole books of the Bible on file that he has studied this way.
You take that section of the book and read through it once a day, making note of things that jump out to you or something the Lord spoke to you about. Highlight words that are repeatedly used in the passage. Write definitions in the margins that you are unsure of. Put cross references along the sides in a different color. Pay specific attention to punctuation (in these 14 verses there are only 4 commas, I circled them in red).
A great simple outline for the book of Ephesians is this:
Our Wealth in Christ  {Chapters 1-3} This is the doctrine section of the book.
Our Walk in Christ  {Chapters 4-6} This is the practical application part.

Be creative! I feel like this is a great way to Bible Journal or just take notes and have more room to write than the skinny margin of your Bible. Currently I am using my watercolor pencils and fine point pens that my, then boyfriend, now husband bought me five years ago.
 
If you would like to make more study sheets for other passages here is what I did to make the Ephesians one:
1. Opened up Power Bible on my computer and brought up the passage.
2. Highlighted the section I wanted, right clicked and hit copy selection.
3. Open my new documents program (I love Open Office Draw) and pasted the passage.
4. Change the dimensions to the size margin I wanted
5. I then added the notes my pastor had included for this passage, but you could leave it blank for
    more writing room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!