Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What's On My Summer Bookshelf



I thought it might be nice to share what I've been reading lately. I have always loved to read, but I don't have as much time to read as I used to, this summer has been particularly challenging. With gardening and canning, I find my days full and more work running into the evenings. In this stage of life I read the most at night before I go to bed, and some times I'm too tired to even want to start reading. My point though is to share with you some of the few, but great books I've read this summer.

1. Pat of Silver Bush
L. M. Montgomery never seems to disappoint. After reading Jane of Lantern Hill this past spring and chatting with my sister about it, she told me she had two Montgomery books that she had read and loved. She lent them too me earlier this summer and I finally got through the first book, Pat of Silver Bush. After visiting Silver Bush on the Island last year, I was really excited to read these books.


Amazing. I love Lucy Maud Montgomery's descriptive writing style that I feel is missing in authors now a days. This book made me want to cry, grin, laugh, and definitely visit PEI again. I'll share the description from the back cover:
Patricia Gardiner loved Silver Bush more than anything else inthe world. She was born and raised in the beautiful old-fashioned house on Prince Edward Island ina world "where things always seem the same" and good things never changed.
But, of course, things do change -for better and for worse - at Silver Bush, starting with the arrival of Pat's brand-new baby sister. Then there is Pat's terrible bout with scarlett fever, her first romance, her aunt's wedding and her mother's illness.
Through it all, Pat shares her experiences with her dear friends Bets Wilcox and Jingle Gordon and the amazing, mysterious, old Judy Plum. And along the way she find the one thing that truly never changes: the beauty and peace she will always find at Silver Bush - the house that remembers her whole life.

It may have taken me all summer to get through it, but it was worth every 15 minutes at night I could find! I'm getting ready to start the second book, Mistress Pat. These two books are now on my list of L.M. Mongomery books to find for my collection. She has by far become my favorite old Authors/Authoress ?

Could I just insert something here? If you have children, please take time to read them some books by Montgomery. Her writing is so descriptive and nurturing to young imaginations. And if you ever have the chance to visit PEI, your children will fall in love over and over again with those books.

2. What in the World Do I Wear

This booklet is only four chapters long and is actually a ladies Bible Study written by Cathy Corle. So many people requested copies of her lesson that she decided to write a booklet form. I think I had read it a couple of years ago as a teenager, and when we moved into my in-law's there was a copy that was my Mother-in-laws so I thought it was time to read it again. This book was such a blessing. Packed full of Scripture and practical illustrations it refreshed some things on why modest, gender specific clothing is so important. She writes in a loving way, not condescending and the whole time she challenges you to be reading these words with a heart open to what the Lord would have you change. It's not about her words, but about the Lord's Words to you in regards to dress. It was really a blessing to read a book that encourages you to keep on in what you believe and to know I have a easy to read resource to help others.

3. Raising Maidens of Virtue

Godly books on child reading, parenting, teaching and training are always in my scope when I'm at a second hand store. A couple months back I came across this book at a Goodwill I think, it was ninety-seven cents that was well spent.

This book by Stacey McDonald is along the same lines of Beautiful Girlhood in that it's a book designed to be read with your daughter when you feel it is most appropriate. A book about growing up, but more than that, a book about guiding your girls from a godly, mature daughter to a gracious woman of God. Though I don't agree with every doctrine/philosophy in the book (they are very anti-youth group), as a whole I believe it is a great resource to use with your daughters. After each small chapter there's a type of homework/ questions to work on together. It's a character shaping book that made me thankful for a mom who did guide me and my sister in the crucial life-changing years of our life, pushing us toward godly living and quite honestly at times was a convicting reminder of some areas in my life that I needed to tighten the reigns on.

4. Women Living Well

I should wait to share this one since I'm only on chapter three but it has been such a blessing already. Courtney Joseph writes on a blog called womenlivingwell.org and though I haven't read much on her blog, I'm interested now that I have started this book. I was browsing my local library and pulled this book off the shelf to read the back again.I say again because I have read the back of it before, I've thought of checking it out before, but I tend to stay away from newer authors of Bible study books, because most times I feel like there stuff is kinda, well, shallow. Don't take that wrong, it just doesn't click with me for some reason. But I chanced it and checked out the book on my library card and like I said, it truly has been a blessing. The Scripture she mentions is so well picked,(it is the wrong version, so I look it up on my own), so applicable to what she writes about. Lately it seems there is so much calling for my attention, that I feel like my devotions are not the quality time I truly desire. And the book begins by talking about all the voices calling for you, but the Lord's voice beckons you to come and rest by His well, to be filled and refreshed with Him.

This book also made it on my list of books to find and add to my collection, simply because of it's practicality to everyday life. It touches on daily life issues that we need reminded on a regular basis. I love good books like that.

2 comments:

  1. Yay I found a book for your L.M. Montgomery collection! And that yarn in that dish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited! Finding those books made my day!! And I had a whim to use the dish in the sewing room, and what better than antique spools of thread to display in it? :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!