Friday, September 23, 2016

Ode to Fall

Oh Dearest Autumn! You're here! You've finally arrived after this high heat filled summer, and I am so glad you've come. I saw you sneaking your way in about a month ago. You gave just the tiniest hint of coolness to nighttime temperatures and I was thrilled. I've been waiting for you with much anticipation! I have so many things I want to do while you are here.

I want to relish in your beauty. In each changing leaf, the last display before plummiting to earth. To breath in the harvest, the last produce, the storing up for cold days ahead. Even the animals are instilled by God the Father to prepare, to put up and make ready for winter. And the sunsets you've been displaying...Breathtaking! Beautiful beyond description. And I hope those beautiful sunset images stay forever etched upon my memory.

I want to feel your coolness wrap your arms around me. Around me, bundled up in cozy sweaters, long skirts, soft scarves, and boots. Enjoy your coolness as Working Man and I gather firewood, shedding layers as we work. To crawl out of my warm bed to cool mornings where I put on my sweater and make my way to the kitchen to put on my breakfast tea. We can spend cool evenings together, as I watch your last sunsetting rays turn the cornfields into golden stalks of beauty.
Oh, and to taste! To taste your bounty! Tantalizingly spicy smells, wafting from warm ovens full of apple and pumpkin delights laden with spices I love. Mugs brimming with soothing chai or sweet apple cider or rich hot chocolate, morning or night. Because who really needs a reason to drink something warm? Soup pots and stewpots simmering with warmth and goodness, ready to dish up bowls of soup and stew and harvesttime memories. And this year lets do something new together. Let's try a pumpkin spice latte that everyone raves about. Let's do it at home, because everythings better at home isn't it?

Autumn, I've determined in the passing month that you are my favorite season. Truly I anticipate your coming more than any other. I love everything about you. And yet you never seem to stay and visit long enough to my liking, like you always must rush off and let Winter come and visit. Try and stay a little longer this year, and lets take loads of photographs, and make tons of memories, ok? Because I miss you every time you leave.

All My Love,

Young Housewife

2 comments:

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your words mean so much to me!