
I like easy, how about you? Not that I don't enjoy the work, butI really love when I can multitask things. It's almost like having little elves in my house to help me.
Growing up my mom ALWAYS bought neck pumpkins to use for pies and rolls. We never bought the canned pumpkin everyone buys off the shelves, we always did it ourselves. And preparing pumpkin to freeze was always a big chore. I faintly remember peeling and cutting up the pumpkin, and then digging out the seeds with a spoon. Then we used a different method: cutting in larger chunks, scraping out the seeds and placing facedown on cookie sheets and baking them until soft. Then came the task of peeling off their hot skin and placing it in the blender to puree. (Note to all who have little experience with blenders: wooden spoons and plastic scrapers are not friends with spinning blades. We won't go any further and name any names.)
After the hot pumpkin was smooth we would measure the hot pumpkin into the amount needed for pies or pumpkin rolls and dump into freezer bags, labeling appropriately. Oh, and scrub the dickens out of those cookie sheets that had pumpkin sap glue all over them.
Because of this long, hot, injury-inducing job, I always put off cooking my pumpkin. And once or twice my pumpkin went bad before I had cooked it. I did use it for decoration though so it served some purpose. Until last year.
I decided to experiment with my crockpot, or rather my grandma's because we were living in her house at the time. I cut the pumpkin up, deseeded, and cooked it over night. And the next morning, it was done. Easy-peasy. So today I'll share in detail what I think is now the easiest way to do up pumpkin and avoid the canned kind (and the alumnium can).
Step one - Get your pumpkin
Step 2 - Cut & Cook
No peeling needed. I cut my pumpkin in roughly 4" chunks. When I reached the end where the seeds are I discarded them. Actually I threw them in part of the garden hoping for voluntary plants next year. Once you finish cutting I filled my crockpot with the chunks. The larger pumpkin took two crockpots.
Now, last year I did it in the evening, turned it on low and went to bed.When Working Man left at 4 I turned it off, so about 7-8's on low. Or this year I did it during the day, 4-5hrs. on high. Turn on and walk away...or go to bed, your choice!
NOTE: As much as you think about it, please refrain from adding water to your crock. Pumpkin creates a lot of water when it cooks and you want the least amount of water in your finished product.
Step 3 - Cool
You can work with it hot, but unless you enjoy scorched fingers, let it cool. I obviously didn't finished the pumpkin last year at 4am (who would?!) So when I did it later that morning it was cooled. This year when they were done I took the lids off for an hour or two. It helps if you can pour the liquid off before they cool, just so it doesn't soak it back up. But I understand if trying to pour off boiling hot liquid from a crock, while trying to keep the pumpkin in the crock is not your thing.
Once cool the peel should easily come off with your fingers or a small paring knife. Any stringy pieces you see should be discarded as well. At this point I tried to squeeze any extra water out of the pumpkin. This is why you want cool pumpkin. HEHE!
Step 4 - Mash
This year I forgot what I did last time. I didn't have a blender, so I though I hand mashed it. I mean it's really easy. I tried the blender this year for the first batch, but it wasn't working well for me and not wanting to grind up any foriegn objects in the puree I dumped it in a bowl and grabbed my hand masher. A ricer would probably do wonders too, but I don't have one.
After finishing the pumpkin this year I finally remembered what I did last year. And what I should have done again this year. Behold! The KitchenAid! Last year, (because I can't live without my KitchenAid) I dumped the pumpkin in the mixer attached the regular beater, and turned in on low. 1 minute and your done. So if you want the easiest mashing method use your KitchenAid mixer. If you don't have one, I highly recommend them.
Step 5 - Bag
Last step is to portion your pumpkin and freeze. You can can but I personally haven't done that. I bag two cups at a time per quart freezer bag. Or you could use freezer containters. Also, mark accordingly, with the year.
I also took some of the puree and put it in an extra ice cube tray and froze it. I know you can do that for baby food (which you can totally use this pumpkin for), but I wanted smaller portions to thaw for pumpkin spice lattes or homemade creamer. If I remember right, I believe each ice cube hole holds 2 Tablespoons. One frozen I popped them out and bagged those too.
So there you are, the easiest, least painful way to preserve pumpkin. You know there's nothing added to it, nothing leeching into it from the can (that probably had BPA), and you've saved a ton of money. I got about 14 cups of pumpkin puree from $3 worth of pumpkin. That's $.21 a cup! And it's real food.
Happy Pumpkin Baking!






Great post, Anna! I'll have to try the crockpot for the small pumpkin I bought this year!
ReplyDeleteI bet you'll like it mom!
DeleteI think you may be a genius. Too bad I can't get neck pumpkins down here!
ReplyDeleteI thought Mom brought you a pumpkin down? I bet butternut squash tastes about the same.
DeleteNo she didn't. I have some butternut squash in the freezer that I need to try but I haven't gotten to it yet
DeleteWe always did neck pumpkins in the oven too...I'm going to have to try this method! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so much better!
Delete